Do you have a recipe that you keep in your back pocket for when you need supper to come together quickly? And more importantly, a recipe that the whole family will love? If not, this Simple Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas will be your new back pocket recipe. It truly is one of my go-to weeknight meals.
I am hitting you guys with another chicken thigh recipe – Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas. You all seemed to really like the last chicken thigh recipe, so it’s only fitting, right? This is a great recipe to make when your garden is full of peppers and onions. Or, get your veggies from the farmers market. Either way, this back pocket recipe will for sure end up in your weekly rotation. Or, it will make the menu the next time you have company over!
My Friends Love It
I love to make this for my friends. It’s so much fun to put platters of fajita mixture in the center of the table surrounded by bowls of toppings. Everyone can build their own fajita… plus, it saves you all of the work. My friends love this recipe and has even turned some of my “non-veggie eating friends” into veggie believers. I guess when you can hide a bunch of vegetables between some juicy and tender chicken and wrap it all in a soft tortilla, they’ll eat just about anything. Just ask my husband….
One thing to keep in mind with a sheet pan recipe. You need to ensure that everything is done cooking at the same time. Sometimes you luck out and you can toss everything on the pan, pop it in the oven, and bam you’re good to go. Other times, you will have to add certain veggies or proteins first and vise versa. I break this recipe into two sheet pans for ease.
I firmly believe, that we should never live a life of undeliciousness. These fajitas are a prime example of when one ingredient brings the other flavors into focus. Go ahead and make them and see for yourself.
Oh, and in case you were wondering…parchment paper’s heat rating isn’t as high as you might think… trust me… me and the smoke detector found out the hard way. Whoops.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan
- 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 white onions sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 limes sliced into wedges
- Olive Oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together the last seven ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle some olive oil on the chicken and sprinkle half the seasoning mixture generously on both sides of the chicken. Let the chicken rest while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice up the vegetables, drizzle them with oil, and sprinkle them with remaining seasoning mix and layer them on a sheet pan.
- Align the chicken thighs in a single layer on another sheet pan. Put the chicken in first and cook for 20-25 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the vegetables.
- Pull the chicken out and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing into strips.
- Assemble the fajitas with the meat and veggies and top with cilantro leaves, avocado slices, sour cream, and squeeze a lime wedge over top.
I want you to cook along with me! Be sure to tag me on your social media channels and use the hashtags #TheHangryDiaires & #GetHangry.
This recipe was also published in my food column, The Driftless Foodie in The Driftless Journal newspaper.